If you love making amazing things from junk you’ll adore this! I’ve found an absolutely brilliant resource containing 100 amazing upcycling ideas.
Most of them are so simple anyone can do them. Some are more complex, like the fish tank made from an old Apple Mac G4, but come complete with full instructions.
I particularly like the idea of making gorgeous vintage silk scarves into cushion covers, as in the image above from ounodesign.com. I’d go for it right now if I hadn’t already filled the house to bursting with hand made cushions! But next time I have a cushion sort-out and create free space, I’ll bear it in mind.
The Engineering a Better World blog
The Engineering A Better World blog applies the principles of engineering to the world in a practical way. They highlight the creative work of others and present new ideas in an attempt the improve our world, providing a useful and exciting resource to help others change the world for the better too. All of which appeals to my hippy-trippy nature!
Here’s a link to their excellent post, 100 Amazing Upcycling Ideas Anyone Can Do, where they’ve collated and curated a load of fantastic ideas including:
- a stylish wallet made from a bicycle inner tube
- a beautiful lamp made from fizzy drink bottles
- a groovy evening bag with a sense of humour… made from a bra
- DIY headphone speakers made from those little cardboard boxes that once held over-the-counter medicines
- fabulous picture frames made from cups
- fun planters made from old shoes
- a kite made from an old shower curtain
- cute bunting made from old jeans
- knitting with yarn made from old supermarket plastic bags
- cool ‘invisible’ shelving made from old hard back books
- unique jewellery made from old computer keyboard pieces, perfect for the girl geek in your life!